1927March 17, the doors to the meat market officially opened. John August Fisher and Joseph W. Fisher, along with Walter Pulter and O.J. Huchton founded the new business. During this time, the economy was booming from the oil discoveries. With the arrival of many new families, the demand for meat needed to be met. At this time, sales consisted of cured meats and fresh beef slaughtered and dressed the day before. As you may recall, refrigeration was not available back then. Sunday was always a busy day for the market. People would travel into Muenster for Church services and before leaving, stop at the market for fresh beef. The business continued to thrive for a few years until the great depression left the owners wondering if the business would survive.
1933Despite many hardships, the meat market survived the great depression. A large contributor to the survival of the market was due to Fischer's reputation for German sausage spreading far beyond the small town of Muenster. Conditions soon improved and in 1933, Fischer's added groceries to the shelves. Soon after, beef sales continued to increase with the introduction of freezers. Now, families could buy meat in volumes.
1962The business began to outgrow its current location and moved to the former Wilde Chevrolet building on August 13, 1962. This new location allowed Fischer's to expand and grow. One addition to the new building was the modern new slaughter house. This new facility replaced the old slaughter house which had been located in the country on Joe Fisher's farm. With the improvements and business thriving, John and Joe decided to offer the market to their children.1975
John C. and Francis R. (Butch), took over the ownership in October of 1975. The new partners remodeled the store and, proud of their German heritage, gave both the exterior and interior of the store a Bavarian look. This new look would include the "one-of-a-kind" glockenspiel that continues to amuse visitors daily. Johnny and Butch also returned to the original spelling of Fischer's for their business.
2005In June of 1976, founder John A. Fisher died. Joe Fisher continued to visit the store daily until his death on Dec.9, 1988. On October 1, 2005, John C. Fischer sold his interest in Fischer's to Steven Fisher (Butch's son).
Fischer's Meat Market is a third-generation family business with both old-fashioned know-how (all of our meat is still hand-trimmed) and state-of–the-art modern technology. We are happy to be a part of the Muenster Community and to serve each one of our customers with the best quality meat products around. We strive to continue providing you with the German hospitality that began in 1927.
Secret blends of spices handed down through generations of Fishers dating back to 1927.